With our annual Football for Child Development ‘’Sport for Social Change’’ we are able to reached 100,000 Spectators and pupils from 17 primary schools, 119 Teachers within two slum communities in Freetown with key sex messages and advocacy on child protection issues.
Football for Child Development is born out of the need to engage our students in physical education while keeping them busy and in great company. WYCF observed that teenage pregnancy, domestic violence and forced/early marriage were on the rise within our target communities, so implementing new activities was the perfect opportunity to bring everyone together through a game they love.
We are using the power of sport combined with education and life skills by creating sustainable opportunities for young people in communities where crime, violence against women and girls, and social exclusion are prevalence.
With our Football, Martial Arts and Boxing we promote self-control, respect, discipline and provide young people with required supports to create positive futures for themselves through formal and informal education.
– Lack of structured physical activities in our students’ academic routines;
– Need of extra-curricular activities conducive to healthy habits;
– Poor interaction between WYCF schools, as well as with other neighbouring schools.
– Implement friendly football competitions between the students of WYCF schools and other schools;
– Call on the surrounding communities to participate and support the football teams;
– Promote teamwork, respect and discipline;
– Advocate for children and their rights.
– 17 primary schools from 2 communities participated in the competition;
– High participation rate of both boys and girls;
– Adoption of physical education as a structured, yet fun and collaborative activity;
– Children feel included and valued for their talents;
– Improved self-esteem and confidence amongst the children;
– Enhanced collaboration between children from different backgrounds and neighbouring schools.
Support our sport for social change project to build a flourishing and safe communities for young people
WYCF©2020 All Rights Reserved